Sunday, July 17, 2022

Rob Zombie's The Munsters looks pretty fun

The trailer for Rob Zombie's The Munsters dropped earlier this week and, I have to admit, I'm looking forward to seeing it.  Before delving into my reasons for checking out the latest offering from a filmmaker I have mixed feelings about, here's a link to the trailer, if you have seen it yet.

Oh, we're on the Internet now.  That's a scary place.

I have to start with my feelings towards Zombie's filmography.  I think he's a talented director, and have never been bored with the look of his films.  His work is visually exciting, sometimes stunning, but never lifeless.  

But his screenwriting talents always leave me expecting better.  His characters often feel more like stereotypes than believable people.  Take, as an example, his version of Halloween.  Aside from the mistake (in my opinion) of delving into the motivations of Michael Myers, I could not believe the Myers were living in the suburban neighborhood of Haddonfield.  A trailer park in Florida, maybe, as Zombie's script relied on the hillbilly caricatures that too often infuse his films.

So I was surprised when Universal announced Zombie was helming a remake of The Munsters.  And, as expected, the Internet went wild with the idea that his remake would be a profane, bloody version of the 60s TV sitcom.

 Let's be honest, the first promo photos didn't help that impression.

But I was pretty sure that wasn't going to happen, as Universal was still smarting from Bryan Fuller's Mockingbird Lane.  The pilot, aired only as a Halloween special in October of 2012, was an uneasy mix of comedy and horror, exemplified early on when young Eddie turns into a werewolf and threatens his follow scouts on an overnight camping trip.  At one point, we witness a young boy in a sleeping bag swatted into a tree (a la Grizzly), before cutting to a "humorous" scene of the rest of the troupe running away in terror.  Things got stranger, as Marilyn behaved like a serial killer and Grandpa decided to feast on human blood again.  All that probably lead to NBC dropping the series and dumping the pilot in October, to at least regain the cost of making it.

Yeah, CGI monsters ain't cheap, you know.

So the idea that Universal would allow Zombie to write and direct a reboot without a rating clause in the contract seemed ridiculous.  I assumed the studio would require the film to be rated PG-13, insuring a wide audience.

And, to most everyone's surprise, the MPAA gave the film a PG rating for "macabre and suggestive material, scary images and language."  Hell, that's Minions level stuff.

 For the love of Cthulhu, DO NOT give Herman flatulence issues!

So, of course, I had to watch the trailer when it dropped online.  And, after three viewings, I have to admit, I want to see the film.  It made me smile.  Not laugh out loud, but grin enough to think the film might be worth watching.

Look, I'm not saying The Munsters won't be a train wreck.  Trailers are designed to sell a film, and some outright lie about the content (2006's Black Christmas, I'm looking at you).  But this trailer sold me for one big reason; it's consistent with the tone of the original TV show.

The Munsters was a broad comedy about a family of monsters trying to fit into the world.  Unlike the more subdued The Addams Family (which premiered the same year), this was a more slapstick affair, as captured in the opening credit sequence, which Zombie successfully paid homage to in the teaser trailer.  And given the full trailer, he's going all in on the goofiness.

Also, Zombie's love of horror, and the original TV show, is evident in the trailer.  He's squeezed in Uncle Gilbert, Nosferatu, a gorgeous homage to the Universal Frankenstein films, silly sound effects that fit the aesthetic of the 60s tone, and his eye for directing is evident in almost every shot.  Based on the trailer, this looks like a fun little romp, and I really want to see it.

 Oh, and Cassandra Peterson is in it.  I'll watch it just for that.  She's a great comedic actor, even without the black dress.

Oh, and for those calling out the fact that Eddie Munster isn't in the trailer...

Folks, pay attention.  The film is about how Herman and Lily met, before they had a child.  Give it time, maybe he shows up in a post-credit sequence setting up a sequel.  Those are the rage now.  Or didn't you know that.

All I'm saying is give the film a chance.  Based on the trailer, it's not the usual Rob Zombie film, but that doesn't mean it won't be a fun film to watch on a dreary autumn night.

Have to admit, I thought this film looked like fun after watching the trailer, and we all know how it turned out.

Flat and not very buoyant.  

Okay, I'll let myself out after those puns.


No comments:

Post a Comment