Friday, July 20, 2012

Everyone needs to stop politicizing last night's tragedy in Colorado

Judging by the response on the Internet, most everyone is aware of last night's shooting at a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises. And people are expressing their opinions on how this tragedy might have been prevented. I've read from both sides of the gun debate, a senator claiming this was the result of the "war on Christianity," and a few others talking about violence in the media. And every news outlet are interviewing any "expert" willing to blab about the killer's motivation.

So, I figure I should weigh in with my opinion. Hey, I'm on the Internet, I have a blog site, so I can say whatever is on my mind at the moment.

And it's my opinion that everyone needs to shut the F@#$ up.

This shooting was a tragedy, not an opportunity to express your political beliefs. So before you hit the keyboards, or jump at the opportunity to appear on television, think about how little your opinion really matters compared to what happened last night.

Think about the twelve families awaken last night with the news that a loved one was killed in a random, brutal and senseless act. And how those families will have to face that loss every day for the rest of their lives.

Think about the people who felt a bullet rip into them, scarring them forever. And think of how their families raced to the hospital, praying the wounds inflicted upon their son/daughter/husband/wife/parent/partner would not result in death.

And think about how everyone in that theater will remember the screening, as a nightmare full of tear gas, bullets and terror.

Last night wasn't a political opportunity for those people. And it shouldn't be for you, either. So just shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment