Tuesday, December 19, 2023

A Christmas Carol (1971)


Alright, time to address my lack of reviewing films based Charles Dickens classic.  In ways, I find them lacking.  Filmmakers tend to focus more on the season, and forget the story is a creepy Christmas ghost story.  But this animated version, broadcast on ABC in December of 1971, delivers the message, and chills, in just 25 minutes.

 Well, Chris, you're finally getting to this classic.  I didn't think you had it in you.  But why this version?

Because it really follows the beats of Charles Dickens' story.  And it doesn't shy away from delivering some Christmas fear.

Okay, I can see that.  Please continue.

Thank you.  Though I expect to see you later.

Of  course.  I have to uphold the tradition

Yeah, great, thanks.  Okay, I don't think we need to get too detailed in the plot.  Scrooge is a miser, visited by ghosts intent on making him a better person.  And, by showing him visions of Christmas past, present and future, Scrooge becomes a better person, holding the spirit of the season in his heart year round.

If only it was that easy.  I don't see Elon Musk changing his ways by a haunting like this.  He'd probably just post on Twitter/X that some woke ghosts are out to get him.

Oh, I'd be so all over the internet after this.

So, why review this version of the timeless tale.  Well, the animation is gorgeous.  Director Richard Williams (The Thief and the Cobbler, Who Framed Roger Rabbit) worked with animator Ken Harris (How the Grinch Stole Christmas) to deliver a unique style for the animated feature.  Sure, most of the feature is standard cell animation, but unlike other animated Christmas features, we get moments that look like an oil painting come to life.  It's beautiful, with some sweeping shots that are pure art.  And we get transparent ghosts!  I can only guess how hard they were to animate.  Oh, and did I mention they're scary as possible for a broadcast animated feature!

Yeah, this is some Christmas nightmare fuel right here.

And, I can't not talk about the Ghost of Christmas Past.  This version is the closest to Dickens' description I've seen put to film.  And I get that some past versions of the tale were limited by visual effects at the time.  But given John Fulton's work on 1933's The Invisible Man, I suspect someone could have tackled a truer version of this ghost than the ones in previous versions.

Oh, I'd love to see a practical VFX version of this ghost.

Alastair Sim and Michael Hordern reprise their roles as Scrooge and Marley, who they portrayed in 1951's Scrooge, which is great.  The rest of the voice cast is equally good, and helps to deliver the emotional impact you'd expect.  Animator Chuck Jones was executive producer, but let the animation team deliver a stunning feature without his classic characteristics (which I love, by the way).  And kudos to him, as a Grinchy version of this Christmas classic wouldn't be as powerful.

The film was released theatrically after its broadcast premiere, making it eligible for Oscar consideration, and it won for Best Animated Short Film in 1972.  However, some industry insiders took issue that a television show was given the award, and the Academy changed its policy, disqualifying eligibility for any future works broadcasted on television.  It seems silly now, as streaming services are releasing films into theaters.  But at the time, any television production wasn't considered true art.  So now, release a film in theaters BEFORE it's available online, and you've got some Oscar consideration.  As I said, it's silly, but that's the world we live in.

To my knowledge, this version of A Christmas Carol has not had an official home video release, which is stunning to me.  So many subpar versions of the tale exist, I'd like to see this one get a Blu-Ray version.  Well, I hope Santa reads this review and we'll get a proper release next year.  Until that time, you can watch it on YouTube.  And I suggest you do, as it's a great version of a Christmas ghost story.

Check it out.  I suspect you'll like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment